On your first prenatal appointment your doctor will prescribe you several tests and will perform several physical exams to make sure that you and your baby are safe.
What kind of tests would my practitioner prescribe?
Your doctor might prescribe basic tests as:
- Urine sample
- Blood test: Blood group type, full blood count, rubella and toxoplasmosis immunity, HIV test and glucose.
- Pap smear to check if any abnormal cells or infections.
What should I expect from the physical exam?
Your practitioner will measure:
- Your weight
- Your blood pressure
- He will check on your heart, thyroid and lungs.
- He will exam your breasts and will discuss breastfeed.
- He will exam your pelvic and will perform a bimanual internal exam to check the size of the uterus position and the pelvis status.
- He will perform a vaginal ultrasound to check for any abnormalities of the uterus, ovaries or fallopian tubes and to locate the egg implant.