Preparing Your New Baby's Room
Welcoming a new baby is perhaps the most joyful event in the family’s life; however, waiting for a newborn is always associated with a lot of tasks and responsibilities. Preparing the baby’s room called “nursery” is absolutely one of the most important tasks to achieve before your baby is born! You might want to have your baby sleeping in your room during the first few weeks of his life, but knowing how fast babies grow, your baby will need his own room very soon!
While preparing your baby’s room, you should know what basic pieces should be there and you should follow some important tips!
The most important thing is the crib! This is basically where your baby sleeps, which means it’s the place where he’ll be spending the most of his time during the first months of his life. From here comes its importance! While buying a crib, safety is the thing you should consider first:
- Make sure that slats in the crib are no more than 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Choose the mattress that perfectly fits inside the crib, because if there is a space between the edges of the mattress and the side of the crib, there is a risk for your child’s arms to get trapped in the space.
- The bumper pad is a must! Basically it protects your baby from direct contact with the hard slats on the crib, but it also could be a part of the decoration! Remember that the bumper pad has to fit tightly around the inside of the crib and should have at least six straps to hold in place.
- Clothing and diaper changes are easier and faster when you have a changing table! The baby can be changed on any surface, but the changing table is a great help since it places the baby at a comfortable height and keeps everything at your easy access! One thing to consider: make sure that the changing table you’re buying has a comfortable restraining belt to keep your baby while you’re changing his clothing or diaper. And one more thing: never leave your baby unattended on the changing table even for a second!
- Another important item in the nursery is the tub! This little plastic bathtub provides a comfortable bath environment for your tiny angel. Just be careful and never leave your baby unattended in the bath!
- Lighting your baby’s room is one of the most important things to consider! Having a window is crucial since natural light is essential for your baby! Moreover, what you put on the window is also very important; a set of mini blinds, or a roman shade are the best for nurseries’ windows! A nightlight is also a requirement for a baby’s room; just make sure it is out of baby’s reach so avoid using floor lamps!
- What remains to have are: storage, some toy boxes, shelves that work as display areas, and some personalized items to give your baby’s room a small creative touch!