The Perfect Nap
Daily nap for children is essential for their development. Napping can help your child relax and recharge some energy. Some believe that if a child does not nap, he will have a better sleep at night! This is wrong since he will become irritated, tired and cranky. Here are some tips to help your kids take their nap:
- Be consistent, every day at the same hour, the same room and the same environment. Build a routine.
- Have a quiet time before your baby sleeps.
- Explain to your toddler that every child needs to rest before he continues the day.
- Take a nap. Let your child know that you also need to rest.
- If he goes to a day care center, keep at home the routine even during weekends.
- Do not fight with your child over a nap. Just let him set quietly and read a book. Remove all noisy toys.
- If your child refuses to nap, adjust his bedtime earlier.
Every child needs a specific time to rest and sleep. Sleep deprivation will lead to behavior problems. Your child might become cranky, hyperactive, overtired and moody. Value your child nap time and make it a routine in his daily schedule.